Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Detailed Update


God is so good!  Stan and I went to the doctor yesterday (Tuesday), and while our spirits were completely different than last Thursday, the news was the same.  When I say that our spirits were different, I mean that we felt such an overwhelming, perfect peace and trust in our God who is in complete control and who is able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine.  I want to catch you all up on the details of what is going on so that you will know how to specifically pray for Anniston.

The diagnosis we were given last Thursday and that was confirmed yesterday includes two issues with her heart, a VSD and an Interrupted Aortic Arch, which I will try to explain as best I can with my limited knowledge of anatomy.

VSD, the first issue, stands for Ventricular Septal Defect which is basically a hole separating the left and right ventricles of the heart (or the lower chambers).  Our doctor told us that there are some VSDs that are small and actually are able to close up within the first couple years of life, but that this particular type of VSD is not one that closes up.  (We pray and know that God is more than able to show her different!)

          The second issue, Interrupted Aortic Arch, is more rare, and it means that this artery is not sending blood to the lower part of her body as it should be functioning.  Therefore, her pulmonary artery is having to work extra hard causing the lower right chamber to be larger than the lower left.

How is she doing so well inside of me?  That is the incredible part.  We learned yesterday that every child has an extra vessel in utero called the ductus arteriosis that does the job of sending the blood to the lower part of the body!  This shunt dissolves a few days after birth!  Isn't it so amazing that God has supplied exactly what she needs to be completely healthy inside of me?!  The doctors keep commenting on how much she moves during the ultrasounds...we have a fighter!  Her heartbeat is completely normal and seeing her so active is very encouraging.  

        This situation, looking at it with our human eyes, means that Anniston will be born in Jackson instead of Hattiesburg and that immediately after birth, she will be given some medicine that will make that extra vessel continue to work without dissolving right away as it would otherwise.  Then, on the second or third day after she is born, we will fly on a medical jet to Pennsylvania to have one surgery immediately on her heart.  The recovery would take about 2 weeks, and after that recovery period, we would be able to bring her home and return to life as normal.  

Now, obviously, we are not God, and we are not in control, so we are daily placing our lives as well as Anniston's life in His hands, and we truly believe that God is going to heal her!  I just wanted to tell you exactly what the doctors said because we want us all to be able to look back on the divine hand of God in this story He is writing.

We want everyone to know again how much your prayers and words of encouragement have blessed our lives.  I cannot express to you the peace and faith that we have experienced because so many of you are on your knees for us.  Thank you again, and I just want to end this particular post by sharing with you a few verses that we have been praying, and we would love for you to claim these as well.  We love you!!  

Lord, we pray and believe that you "will perfect what concerns us" (Psalm 138:8) and that you will "create in Anniston a clean heart and renew a steadfast spirit within her (Psalm 51:10)."  We thank you, Lord, that you "hold our right hand" (Isaiah 41:13) and that "every decision is from you (Proverbs 16:33)."  Thank you for "hemming us in behind and before and for laying your hand upon us (Psalm 139:5)."  We know above all that it is "by your stripes that Anniston is healed (Isaiah 53:5)" in order to bring glory to your name (Ephesians 3:20).

         PS:  Please know that we realize that we are not the only ones going through a testing time, so if you have anything that you need prayer for, please do not hesitate to let us know because we would love to lift you up in return!

16 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi Lindsey,

This is Phillip's sister Jessica. Carey sent me your blog so I could keep track of what is going on with you and your family. I am so touched by your spirit and teh grace God has given you to rest in him during this time. I have been on my knees praying for baby Anniston and I will continue to do so until the day the Lord allows you to bring her home in perfect health. Nothing is impossible for our God. I believe with his healing hand he will restore Anniston's heart and bring you and your husband closer to him. As someone who is pregnant I can only imagine what you are going through. Please know I am here if you me and ya'll are in my prayers.

Shellie Tomlinson said...

Hello Lindsey, I, too am joining Carey and Jessica and all of the others who are lifting Anniston to the Father. I loved your words, "the story He is writing", for He is truly Anniston's Alpha and Omega. He knows her beginning and her end and He is with her in the middle. What peace that brings! Please know we are inspired by your faith and joining you in it. To God be the glory for the great things He has done and is doing in all of our lives.

Kellye Ratcliff said...

Lindsey and Stan,
This is Kellye Ratcliff and I work with grandmother Jan Martin at Ruston High(I have met you before but you probably don't remember me). I just want you to know that I am praying for you all and for complete healing for little Anniston. Reading your blogs are so uplifting. Your faith and positive words inspire me! You are blessed with a wonderful and supportive family and our God is faithful and I know everything will be fine.

Amanda said...

Lindsey, you are a shining example of how the Lord works in mysterious ways. While reading Anniston's update, I was saddened by her condition but encouraged by your faith. I will be praying for Anniston's healing, your continued peace, and the Lord's face to be revealed to all who encounter your family.

Rhonda said...

Hello Linsey, Stan and Anniston~
This is Phillip's "Other Mother" and Shellie's best friend, Rhonda Perry. Just wanted you guys to know that I'm on this Prayer band wagon. We have already begun praying fo you at church and my daughter, Jaclyn and I will be lifting you up each morning during our 20 minute drive to her school. Oh and we'll go beyond praying... we'll be believing! God is in your midst, a Mighty Warrior!

Deb said...

Stan and Lindsey, I am encouraged by how you are facing this. You are so right...God is writing this story and it is through Him that this all this will be resolved. We will continue to pray for you both and for Anniston (we love the name!) This is a hard road, but because He is traveling with you it will be so much easier. What do unbelievers do? I am so thankful you all belong to Him.

I am curious to where you will go in PA...I assume it is Philadelphia, although I know there are some good hospitals in Pittsburgh, too.

Mable said...

Stan & Lindsey,
Thanks for sending us your Blog.
Lindsey you are doing such a great job preparing it.
I am soooo sorry about Anniston's problems but as you know we KNOW the great Physician and we know he is still in the business of healing. That is what we are praying for her and I have faith that it will happen.
We love all three of you and will be praying for you constantly
I am putting Anniston on the Prayer list at my church. We are a praying people so just rest in that.
Love you,
Aunt Mable & Uncle Clyde

Judith Roberts said...

Lindsey,
Hey, girl, I am so glad I found your blog. I just want you to know that Kyle and I are praying for you, and I am so excited for you and Stan! Send me an e-mail if you get a chance: robertsjudimc@hotmail.com.

-- Judith

Carey said...

hey sweetie,

So glad to hear that you and stan are relying on the one true Rock-our sweet Lord. We are constantly in prayer for you guys and believe with you for Anniston's complete and total healing. Just wait it won't be long and we'll be telling our little girls to stop running in the house :)
Love you sooo much!!!

Sarah Kate Taylor said...

Stan and Lindsey,

I work with Jan Jan and she and I have shared our Faith in our God on numerous occasions. She sent me an email this morning with your blog to let me know about this beautiful baby girl.

Angie and I understand how precious this time is in your lives. We have a beautiful baby girl ourselves who is 10 months old.

I just wanted to let the two of you know that we are praying for your family and we have complete Faith that our God is an Awsome God.

We will pray that God will give you strength to continue to praise him and we will pray that he will give Anniston stength to keep fighting. We will also pray for the doctors who are caring for you.

You are an inspiration to me as a Chirstian. Seeing how you have taken this opportunity to tell others about the power of Christ is truely remarkable.

I will continue to follow your blog and pray for your family.

"GG"s Journal said...

I feel so blessed to have you as a daughter and Stan as a son-in-law. Anniston has the most wonderful parents! I believe the healing hand of our Lord and Saviour is touching Anniston this very moment.

I Love You,
Mom "GG"

Brooklyn said...

Your faith is God is sooo evident and amazing!! You should write a book one day!!

[caroline weir] said...

hi precious Lindsey. You are so dear and I will always adore you for the woman of God you are. Lauren has been sharing details about little Anniston Claire--and from what I know you have a very special little girl coming! Praise God that she is such a warrior, as her sister in Christ I am so proud of her! Oh goodness,what a beautiful family already with God as the center.You are in my prayers, and I already love that baby girl. What a beautiful story God is revealing to us, what a gentle embrace He has your family in.

[However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"]
--1 Corinthians 2:9

"GG"s Journal said...

Lindsey and Stan,

Dad and I had a wonderful time with you this weekend. You'll have to share our PAINT story on your blog with everyone to give them a good laugh too! :)

Lindsey you are such a beautiful and glowing mom-to-be! You are very fortunate to carry a baby so well. You look so much better than I did pregnant. Your sweet spirit shines and as I said before I am so honored to be your mom!

Stan, you are so caring and gentle with Lindsey. I love watching you place your hand on her belly as you feel your daughter move and then I see how your eyes glow with joy as you look back at Lindsey. I can tell you are going to be a wonderful father! Thanks for being so good to our daughter. You are the best son-in-law anyone could ask for!

Anniston is being born into the BEST family! What a testimony she will share one day of the love and prayers from her mom, dad, friends, and family as she reads this journal and hears the story of God's faithfulness. Everyone has been so sweet and I enjoy reading everyone's encouraging words as they speak health into your baby. Many thanks to all of you. As a mother and grandmother your words and prayers are so wonderful. We appreciate you so much.


Love You,
Mom "GG" and Dad "Gran Pa" :)

William said...

Hi Lindsey and Stan,
Just wanted to let you know that you and Anniston are in our prayers. Your blog is such an inspiration and encouragement to us and we love reading it.
We love you!
Pam and Fletcher Scott

Jenn said...

Hi! I'm a complete stranger that found your blog from Kelly's Korner! I have a sweet little boy...well a big six year old boy...that had a VSD and other heart defects. He is living proof of God's greatness!!! Keep praying, and our family will join in the prayers for your sweet baby girl!