Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"you have got to be kidding me."


This was the phrase I repeated OVER and OVER in my head last night as I listened to and tried to sleep through Anniston's babbling in the dark. She has been "talking" for quite some time now, but it seems in the last week or so she has acknowledged her voice on a whole new level. She LOVES listening to herself, and apparently practicing this newfound love of talking is intriguing as well. Just when we had our nighttime sleep down to almost eleven hours, she woke up last night at 12:20, 3:40, 5 and 6am smiling and talking in her sweet baby voice for about 30 minutes at a time. She never cried or gave me any hunger cues. I tried giving her the pacifier, but she would just talk with it in her mouth or spit it out. She merely told whatever story was on her mind at the moment and then eventually fell back to sleep. Somehow I missed the chapter on babies babbling all night. Why was I never warned about this new phase? I've heard of infants waking up early (like 5am) to talk and then drifting off to sleep...but, all night??? Seriously? I have to admit: most of the night, I just smiled and let her voice lull me to sleep, or I would turn on the screen to her monitor and watch her speak and nod her head as if she had full knowledge of her ever so interesting topic of choice.

All night. Did I say that already?

Honestly, if sleeping was not necessary for both her and my sanity, I would say that last night was one of the best nights we've had.

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Lindsey - that is just too precious for words!!! Can't wait to see you all again Love Lynne

the Jennings secede from the South said...

That's cute! I've experienced the 5 am babbling but not the all-night babbling. Maybe she was talking to an angel.

Lora said...

Little girls just LOVE to talk! Remember this night someday when you are thinking I would love just 5 minutes of quiet!

Kristen T said...

Aww.. that is so sweet. Just makes my heart melt. Thanks for sharing! Love you guys!

SJ said...

Baby girl is talking to her Heavenly Daddy who never sleeps or slumbers! I would love to know what the contents of the conversation. Sweet, sweet!