Thursday, October 15, 2009

wow.


I think it would be an understatement to say that we have had an eventful week.  But, can I just say that God is good and faithful and sovereign?!  While Anniston's heart cath was extremely successful with regard to her heart, the events that transpired thereafter were a bit of a shock.  She's doing great now, but to make a long story short:  Anniston had a stroke due to her "outpatient" procedure and we just returned home from the hospital yesterday.  

Okay, to make the short story slightly longer:  After Anniston's heart cath, she was extremely sleepy because of the sedative she was given before and during the procedure.  We stayed overnight in the hospital, as previously planned, so that the sedative could wear off and so that she could be monitored as she woke up.  (No complications were ever expected; they just like for babies to stay overnight sometimes.)  As she began to rouse, we noticed several things that seemed different about her, such as her right side being limp, but each of the symptoms we noticed were attributed by the doctors and nurses to the medicine she had been given during the procedure.  

At noon on Friday, when we were reluctantly preparing to leave the hospital (she was still very limp), Anniston began having a seizure.  I cannot tell you how scared I was when a dozen doctors and nurses charged into the room, speculating out loud what must be happening to our sweet baby girl.  I just sat in the corner of the room beside Stan with my hand over my mouth and my mind in shock.  Anniston was rushed to the pediatric ICU where she had one especially wonderful nurse [you know who you are :)], and her doctor returned to tell us the news that our child had had a major stroke either during or shortly after her procedure, which caused her to seize.  It had been 24 hours since the cath.  I won't divulge the thoughts that went through my head in that moment, but I will say that I was more than slightly concerned.  

**I just saw a statistic online (not sure if it was a credible source) that a stroke during a heart cath, specifically angioplasty, occurs in .3 to .4% of patients having this kind of procedure (and .03 to .04% if the patient's heart is just being looked at)...VERY rare.  Heart caths are so common that there is no need for concern if you or someone you know requires one.**

The story is longer, and we had some other worrisome moments, but I will not bore you with all of the details.  I want to get to the good part:  Anniston is almost completely 100% back to how she was before her procedure!  She is still weak, and we are praying specifically for certain issues, but we know without a shadow of a doubt that God has done a miraculous work in her little body, and we HAVE to once again give Him praise.  

He has been teaching me daily through this experience.  I have SO much to learn, but I am grateful that God is speaking that I need to be thankful in EVERY circumstance and that I need to be "prayed-up" BEFORE something like this happens so that I can stand instead of allowing Satan to fill my mind with worry.  To completely and whole-heartedly trust.  I will have to elaborate more later on these topics so as to not make a novel out of this post.

Anniston has been moving her right side and looking to her right more and more.  She even gave me a glimmer of a smile today and sat and stood with support.  I just want to cry when I think of how far she has come in a week.  Yes, God is good.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.  I Thessalonians 5:16-18

11 comments:

"GG"s Journal said...

(NIV) Psalm 100:5
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.

God is our source and strength even in the most difficult times of our life. I really don't know what people do who don't have a relationship with HIM. This has been an emotional week but I have felt the hand of God through every emotion and detail we experienced. You and Stan are such godly parents and your dad and I are so proud of you for trusting God through all of this and for the care you so sweetly give your little girl. She is so blessed to have you two as her parents! We love you three SO much and continue to pray for all of you!!! We also REJOICE with you for the prayers we see being answered!!!

PRAISE THE LORD!!! He is so faithful! I LOVE reading and hearing ALL the good reports!

Love,
mom and dad ("GG" and Grandpa)

Lauern said...

Lindsey and Stan,
Yall are Amazing. Such strong Christians even through unbelieveably hard situations God is your source of strength. I absolutely admire yall for that. In aost every post you are praising God and giving him Glory for all he is doing in our little miricales life! Anniston is so blessed by God an by yall as parents!!! God has remarkable things instore for all of yall but his plans for Anniston I believe are going to rock this world!!! She has changed so many peoples lives in the very few months she has been on this earth! Think about how many more people she is going to touch as she grows up in such a Godly family!! I love yall so much and I'm so encouraged by your post!! Still praying for complete healing as well as praising God for all he has done and is yet to do!!!
~lauren hearn

Deb said...

Just reading this caused tears to flow...mostly because I can put myself in your shoes and I can't even imagine.... but praise the Lord...He is holding His precious baby girl in His hands...so by the end my tears were tears of thankfulness and you have inspired me to praise God once again. Thank you. I will continue to pray for sweet Anniston and her faithful Mommie and Daddy.

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Oh, honey. Thanks for testifying to what the Lord is doing and blessing him at all times.

Kristin Stuart said...

Wow Lindsey and Stan...I have been thinking about you and praying for yall since I heard from Meg what all was going on. Having a child so close to Anniston's age, I can't imagine what it is like to have to go through these things. I admire your strenght and faithfulness in the Lord during these times. Yall hav been so faithful and consistent during this time. I know that there has probably been some down times and hard times, but I have seen the love of Christ shine through both of you throughout this whole experience. Anniston will continue to be in my prayers and I know that God has HUGE plans for this precious baby girl. Thanks for keeping us posted. You are in our prayers as Anniston gains more and more strength.

Kristen T said...

Oh Lindsey, I had no idea! Praise God that Anniston is fully recovering. He is sovereign and has great plans for your family. I wish I could hug you! I love you! I will continue to lift you guys up!

Jamie Jones said...

Lindsey,

I can't imagine what you've been through this past week. I have often wondered too how people deal with things that don't have faith in God. I know my family wouldn't have made it this far without him. It's such a comfort to know that we are in his hands. I continue to pray for your family daily.

Jamie Jones

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Anonymous said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS! I had no idea!!

I am SO thankful that God is in control and in this situation things are working out!

You know, Campbell suffers with seizures, so I can relate to what you were feeling when that began to happen but A STROKE?! WOW o WOW!

Praise the Lord for carrying you guys through this and as He continues to carry you guys!

Christi

humanivy said...

Stan and Lindsey,

I'm continually praying for you guys. Our son, Riley, had a similar moment when he was a few days old and in the NICU where he stopped breathing and we didn't know if he was going to make it for several minutes. Reading your story brings back that memory and how overwhelmed we were at that moment.

We're glad to hear that the Lord has His hand on your family!

Jay McGuirk

WoodardFamily said...

Love yall and have been praying for Anniston and you and Stan. Glad you are all home and she is doing so well. XOXO

Rachel said...

Lindsey,
What a beautiful testimony your little family is to the Lord's goodness and faithfulness! I am just now catching up on all of the details of what has been going on the last couple of months with you all, and I can't tell you what an incredible testimony your story is to me. God's devine hand of protection on little Anniston life is so perfect, and it just reminds me even more of Jeremiah 29:11. What a blessing that we have such an incredible God who loves us so much. Our prayers go with you during the coming days and weeks.
God Bless,
Rachel Reeg Johnson