Tuesday, September 7, 2010

slacker blogger here...


sorry about that... 

I have so much to catch up on with updating Anniston's progress and fun times as of late, so I am promising (gasp) to post a little more this week...Lord willing.


So, I'm remembering that someone asked me to post the sugar cookie and icing recipes that I use, so here goes:

They are both from Allrecipes, and there might be a slight variation to the original cookie instructions, but other than that, they are really great standard recipes.


Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 1/2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Cream together butter and sugar until smooth.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in the remaining dry ingredients.  Chill in the refrigerator...the longer the better.  I like to keep mine in the fridge overnight before rolling.  Bake cookies in 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes.

Sugar Cookie Icing

2 cups confectioners sugar
4 teaspoons milk
4 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring

Combine all ingredients except for food coloring.  If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.  Divide into bowls and add desired food coloring to each.  Apply to cooled cookies.  Allow cookies to sit out for a few hours so icing can completely harden.  Enjoy!


A few tips I learned from the reviews of these recipes online:  

*Roll cookies onto parchment paper placed directly onto cookie sheet.  This allows you to remove excess dough around cookies without having to pick up the actual cookie.  Does that make sense?  This makes them turn out much neater, and parchment paper is great for oven use.  (Never use wax paper instead...it will smoke!)

*Back up a sec...when it comes time to roll the dough, use powdered sugar instead of flour on parchment paper, cookie dough, and rolling pin.

*Have a bowl of powdered sugar at hand to dip cookie cutters into before pressing into dough so that the cutters will not stick to the dough.

*I like to use a butter knife to apply icing, and when making designs/dots, I just use ziplock bags with a tiny hole in the corner...fancy, no?

*I think that's all.

*See why they take me so long?



And, to make the grandparents happy, here is a picture I just miraculously found on my cluttered desktop:



Much love!


7 comments:

Lindsey Walpole said...

glad you are back. I really want to try those cookies :)

jessie said...

i wanted the recipes! but, after reading the "tips" i think they may be too involved for me! i'll let you know if i do them and how they turn out!

Lydia & GT said...

sounds delicious! and she is oh-so cute!!!!!!

I know what you mean about being a blog slacker...I am one too...It is just hard to find the time when I have the mental capacity to think :)

Emery Wilkerson said...

Been missing your updates!!! Need to see more of sweet Anniston!

Anonymous said...

GG and Grandpa are happy here! :) We love the picture of sweet Anniston!!

Also, "wax paper smoking" made me laugh out loud... memories of opening the back door while baking in our kitchen crossed my mind! haha!


Love you!
mom "GG"

jessie said...

oh, meant to comment about our playdate. can't wait!! so excited! :) definately let me know when you'll be here in case i need to work anything out with rett... and if you're here on a game weekend you know you'll have to bring anniston tailgating!

Penny said...

I. Cannot. Wait. To try those cookies...