Friday, October 14, 2011

progress, part 1: PT


Anniston's progress, that is...it has been a little bit heavy on me lately...maybe having to do with pregnancy and what not, but it is pretty typical for me to have "moments" about every 6 months or so. It's okay, though, because those "moments" always bring me back to reality that we have such a healthy, precious little girl who is such a miracle and gift from God.

Let's see...I think I will just focus on PT and OT for this post because speech is probably heavier on my heart and might take a separate post :).

I never thought I would have a 28 month old who is still struggling to walk. It kind of breaks my heart sometimes. I know it is not the most important thing, but I'm just ready for that to be her primary mode of mobility. It's hard work. For all of us but especially for her. You might remember that Anniston took her first steps at 21 months when we were at IMOT. Well, she has pretty much been taking steps since then, and her walking and endurance have improved, but she still has some fear and weakness that we battle. But, we KNOW God is working in her and that the fear is subsiding while her strength is increasing. So thankful!

I told her PT the other day that it's just hard sometimes seeing that yes, there is progress, but my goodness, it just feels so slow. She was sweet to say that with a child NOT in her shoes who just has a delay with walking, it seems so fast when they start walking and things just escalate from there, but for a child like Anniston who has some paralysis on one side, ANY progress is SO huge, even if it seems slow. I am trying to be thankful :). She really is doing so very well, and this is not a "health" thing, so wow, what a blessing in itself!



She just got this new brace. Now she has an AFO instead of the SMO that we started out with a year ago. (Still wearing an SMO on her left foot though.) Basically, an SMO is more for ankle support, correcting the turning-in of the foot, and an AFO will do the same but will also keep her heel on the ground (she has had pretty tight heel cords that we have really had to work at stretching since she began walking, which is due to more tone on her right side because of the stroke; thus she walks flat on her left/good foot and up on her right toes...this makes her more unsteady and more likely to fall...which praise the Lord, He is watching over her and protecting her.) Imagine walking flat on your left foot and up on your right toes at the same time...you would be off balance, most likely, and you might be a little afraid you were going to fall. Now, imagine you are two :). She is pretty careful, which I am grateful for, but this can also be a struggle.

Stan and I were talking the other night about how any little setback with her sometimes means months before she is back where she needs to be. Let me clarify. For example, the braces: Anniston had just started pulling up to standing last year right before we got her first set of braces. Immediately after receiving her new orthotics, she stopped pulling up, and it took MONTHS before we could get her to do it again. Her feet were bigger with them on, and everything was just clunky...maybe that was why, I don't know. We would try to go back barefoot to get her to pull up, but it just wasn't happening. Now, we just had her casted for AFO's. I called the end of July to set up the appointment. They could not see her until the end of August. Once we got in, she had to get her foot casted so that the brace is made especially for her. We made an appointment for "2 weeks later" which turned into a month later because insurance had not approved and the brace cannot be made until then. And, now that we have the braces, they were hurting her, so we had to get them adjusted, which set us back another few weeks, and we go back on November 7th to hopefully do one last adjustment and then cast her LEFT foot for her other brace (doing it at a separate time because we needed to make sure she needs another SMO instead of switching to AFO with left foot too) which would probably take another month to get...much less the adjusting part.

I'm sorry....that sounded like I was really upset and complaining, but I truly am not...I just wanted to show how some of these things (which will in the end be good things) wind up seemingly prolonging her progress...and can be frustrating. Oh, and the AFO hurts her foot at times to where she is laying down on the ground because she cannot bear to put weight on it. I know this is because the brace is doing what it is supposed to be doing (helping to flatten her foot), but it still feels like: where is my little girl who was taking so many steps just a few weeks ago?? Okay, I'm done with the vent, and I kind of wish I wouldn't have written all of that ha.

I have had my moments of feeling guilty, but God is teaching me that those thoughts are not of Him. I felt like maybe we were doing something wrong or not working with her enough. I have felt guilty going to the grocery store after picking her up from MDO because I really needed to be at home with her and her feet on the ground. I have felt guilty not getting my shower before she is awake because I could be using that time to work with her. I have even felt guilty pulling her in her wagon outside of all things, not to mention the opposite end of the spectrum: feeling guilty for not letting her just be a kid more. ...I'm really in a VERY good place right now, but I just wanted to share some of the feelings that I have had over the last couple of years from time to time...

I am in a Bible study right now called "No Other Gods" by Kelly Minter. I went into it thinking that I didn't really have another god or that maybe it was technology or something?, but on the first night of our study, it hit me: my god was Anniston's success. I think many parents can relate. I want Anniston to do so well, and the fact that we have to work harder than some (not all by any means) makes it almost consume me that much more sometimes, I think. It is hard not to compare milestones at times or want your child to be "the best". I have pushed her so hard at times to achieve certain things, and then it hits me: why am I doing this? Really, why? In eternity, what does this matter? Don't get me wrong, I believe wholeheartedly in giving everything your best for the glory of the Lord, but I just think in light of eternity, whether or not my child could stack a certain number of blocks at so many months or could clap or sing or say her ABC's by a certain point does NOT matter! It finally hit me (sometimes it takes me a while:)) that I would so much rather her love the Lord and be loving and kind to others than to achieve anything that this world merits. I am not saying that I still don't struggle with these worldly feelings, but I am just saying that I am trying to make HIM number one instead of Anniston's success.

"But seek first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto you." Luke 12:31 God spoke this verse to my heart a couple of months ago, and it has changed everything for me. None of the above milestones are bad. It is okay for me to desire those things for Anniston, but when they become bigger to me than HIM, and when those thoughts consume me, it is completely wrong. I cannot tell you how much this scripture has meant to me and how much I have seen God do in Anniston as I focus on Him. I am so not perfect, and I still have my moments, but I do see that as I look at Him more, she is taken care of and progressing more and more, even at a quicker rate. He is her Heavenly Father. She is His child foremost, and it is not all on me or Stan. What a relief.

She is seriously the most precious little girl ever, and I do not know what we did to deserve having her as our child...I am just so in love.


Okay, OT might have to be a separate post, too :).


*****

Wow, just realized that it was two years ago today that we brought Anniston home from the hospital after her stroke...my mind just hasn't acknowledged what day it is lately, ha. He has brought her SO far since then. She couldn't even look to the right, much less straight ahead on October 14, 2009, but now she gives me the sweetest love with those same blue eyes. SO thankful.




8 comments:

Laura and Matt said...

Hey Lindsey! This is Laura Bankston- I got your email a long time ago and it meant the world to me! I hope you got my response. I keep up with Anniston all the time and she is always on my heart. By the way, Addison has those very same AFO's! She has trouble keeping her heels down as well. Just wanted to let you know y'all are in our prayers. Much Love!

The Albritton's said...

Love love love no other gods! Kelly's bible study on Ruth is my absolute favorite! Thankful for your honesty! You have one strong baby girl! Can't wait for little sis!

Brooklyn said...

Beautiful post about a beautiful little girl. Thank you so much for sharing your heart.

"GG"s Heart 2 Home Notes said...

You, Stan and sweet Anniston are in our prayers daily. Also, sweet baby Charlotte who will be here very soon! Anniston is such a little miracle and gift from God. She has such a sweet spirit and loving heart. As parents we all do struggle with guilt about so many things with our children however, seeing how you and Stan work to give Anniston the best advantages this world can offer makes dad and I so proud of you! I have also learned from experience seeking God first just puts everything else in order as you wrote. Your Bible study sounds awesome and I'm so thankful for your sweet friends and support you have with this study.
You do have a strong baby girl! She is such a trooper with all she has to do to get stronger. God is with her in every phase of development and that always gives such peace. I'm looking forward to seeing her soon and helping all of you with whatever is needed. If I haven't told you lately I just want you to know with all my heart... I LOVE you!!

Mom “GG”

misti said...

We ARE fall twins! :)

Lindsey, I love keeping up with Miss Anniston on your blog, and I have to agree with the other comments...if her struggles prove anything, it's that she is a strong, gorgeous baby girl! With a strong momma! :)

Kristen T said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and what God is doing in your lives. God gave Anniston the best parents! She is so blessed to have you as a mommy! It's amazing how our thoughts and focus changes when we "fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen". God is using your family for his glory! Love ya sweet friend and praying for ya'll! :)

Penny said...

I agree with Misti -- when she gets older, she's going to learn from her Godly mother how to be strong, how to glorify God, and how to be a righteous woman. And, yes, that is most important. =)

Allenia Allen said...

I was reading this post and it got to the part about how you have a hard time not comparing milestones. Lindsey I know that my Judah (and Josiah) do not have the same struggles or difficulties that Anniston has due to health reasons. However, we all at some time feel like our child just isn't measuring up. For me it is homeschooling and society has taught us that we have to be as good as or better than the next person. I find myself comparing Judah's progress with education with friends of mine who's children attend state school. I have to take a step back and remember that Judah is JUDAH and that he will develop at the rate that he will develop. Do I work with him? Yes. But I also believe that for us formal education will not start until he is around 6. I want him to be a child as long as possible. Children learn so much through play so I let him get on with it. I know that my situation is totally different from yours and I don't have the struggles you have, but I want you to know that you are not alone in the way that you think. I can't give you any advice or words of comfort as it can most likely be more frustrating than helpful...since I really don't know what you are going through. But I will say this...you are a parent and parents want only the best for their children, I have no doubt that you and Stan are giving Anniston (and soon Charlotte) the best by providing her with a home full of love and grace, and parents filled with the Spirit of God. I love you and want you to know that I think of you very often.