Sunday, December 18, 2011

owl costume + semi-instructions


I have had some people ask me lately for DIY instructions for Anniston's owl costume from last year, so I am going to try to explain as best I can without remaking it to show you ha. I just do not have the time to do that right now!


So basically, it was totally a fluke that this costume even turned out...seriously. Here is what I did:



Materials:

Several rectangles of felt from the craft store for feathers and flower, etc on hat. I chose a color palette including four colors: pink, cream, tan, and burgundy. (**It has been over a year since I made this, so forgive me for not remembering how many pieces of felt I bought!)

One large piece of cream felt from the fabric section of craft store (for the cape and hat).

Needle and thread or maybe hot glue (?) for attaching feathers.

Buttons for eyes.

Ribbon to tie the cape.

Pink turtleneck and pants from Walmart.

And, we were blessed to have the cutest Ugg boots from my husband's grandmother. Love them!


Directions:

For the cape, I put the large piece of felt around our little girl's neck and just eye-balled to cut a cape the length of her arms...

Cut LOTS of feathers in various colors.

I glued the feathers to the cape with fabric/craft glue I think, but I would actually recommend sewing the feathers on so that they stay better...or I think I remember hearing that hot glue likes felt, so maybe that would work better. Start attaching the feathers by making a row on the bottom of the cape (with the tip of the feathers from that row hanging over the edge) and continue making rows of feathers as you move up the cape until you reach the top. Cut off excess at the top to make a clean edge.

Sew ribbon onto cape so that it can be tied.

Okay, I really don't know how the hat turned out even remotely cute or how it fit her the next morning. I don't think I even measured her...just prayed it would fit! But for the hat, I know that I cut two pieces of the cream felt in the shape you see in the picture. I sewed them together and flipped inside out.

Cut flower, eyes, nose, and eyelashes out of felt and attach to hat with glue or sew.

Sew buttons for middle of eyes.




***Sorry that this is not a very precise, clear explanation and that I do not have a pattern or anything. If anyone has a question, let me know :). If you asked me for directions, thank you for liking our little girl's costume, and happy crafting! :)




26 comments:

the hills said...

this is the cutest thing i have ever seen. & what a doll! my little bean has giant eyes & a love for owl hoots & i am shamelessly going to copy every single thing about this. you are terribly creative. LOVE.

Kerena said...

Perfect instructions! This just might be my daughter's Halloween costume this year. So cute!

Anonymous said...

This is just what I have been looking for. My little girl is just a few months old andi was trying to find a costume she could wear for pictures alone but that would also show when we go out and she is in the ergo. This is perfect!

Karen Bader said...

Can I buy this from you ???

Crafty Owl Mama said...

Thank you just what I was looking for! I will adapted the colors for my son. I will send you the picture of finish costume.

Krlly said...

Hi for anyone who made this. I do not sew but wanted to know how you cut the cape. Should I leave it as a big rectangle or do I make it a shaped. Please help:)

lindsey said...

Karen,

I am so sorry, but I really don't have time to make these costumes regularly. I did just hear of an etsy shop that is making a similar costume if you would like to buy one from there. (I have never bought from this etsy shop.) Here is the link: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuteandComfyCostumes

Kelly,

I cut the piece of felt into a large semi-circle and then cut another smaller semi-circle on the straight part (the smaller semi-circle goes around the neck). Then, round the pointed ends that will hang down by the hands.

Glad you guys like the costume! :)

Anshu said...

This is killing me...hypercute!
I was wondering if I could make this costume and post a tutorial with pics on my blog here:
http://bloomsnbugs.blogspot.com

I would credit you in the tutorial of course.

lindsey said...

Sure, Anshu!

Maureen said...

i just bought the materials to make this for my 1 year old... SOOOO cute. And I think its absolutely perfect, wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for posting!!! And I've been looking for a reason to justify buying her some uggs (well... fake ones) this season!

Maureen said...

I tried to post this yesterday and i don't think it went through. Just wanted to say I think this is THE CUTEST costume I have EVER seen. Seriously. I love crafty things and try to at least put my own "spin" (maybe even just different colors??) on a project but this is serious PERFECTION. I already bought the materials and will be making one for my 1-year-old daughters costume. Thank you!! ps- found you on pinterest, obvi :)

mmwhan said...

SO CUTE!!Do u have a picture of the back? Love it

nikki said...

Maureen,
Can I ask you how much the materials cost you?

Anonymous said...

One of the preschool teachers at my son's school told me about this! Adorable. I now know what will be keeping me up until 2 in the morning for the next few weeks... :) Beautiful blog.

lindsey said...

mmwhan, I don't have a picture of the back, but great question! It was just solid feathers...sorry I didn't take that pic!

Anonymous said...

Where do you get your felt? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is adorable... I took it a step easier and just bought an owl hat since those critter hats are everywhere now (at least here in New England). It's purple and teal so I'll just buy my materials to match that!

lindsey said...

I bought the felt at Hobby Lobby :).

And, Great idea buying the owl hat and going from there! :)

Unknown said...

Do you remember about how big the feathers were that you cut?

lindsey said...

They were probably about 3x3.5

Rebecca said...

Could you clarify this for me - "I cut the piece of felt into a large semi-circle and then cut another smaller semi-circle on the straight part (the smaller semi-circle goes around the neck). " I'm not sure why I am having a hard time picturing this.

lindsey said...

Rebecca, I am sorry that I am not good at explaining! ha Let me see if I can word it differently: The cape will be a large half-circle. So, if you outlined this large half-circle with your finger, there would be a straight line and a curve. On the straight line, do another small half-circle (this part will hug the neck so that the piece of felt will drape over the child's arms and look like a cape...am I making any sense? ha I'm sorry...I feel like it's hard to explain! Let me know if you are still confused :).

Janelle said...

I just made this for my daughter for Halloween! It cost about $10 in felt, but I have a lot of scrap left. It took me a few hours to finish. I sewed the feathers on the cape with the machine and then used hot glue for the places I didn't want the stitches to be seen.

jewels said...

Thought it was so cool that I randomly came across this on Pintrest! You're famous sweetie...lol You are so creative & talented! Hope you're doing well; we need to catch up soon!

Michele said...

Made this for my granddaughter last year and she loved it!

icandoit said...

I made a tutorial for this! I loved it so much that I decided to photograph as I went along. Here's the link!
http://naptimecrafter.com/costumes/toddler-owl-costume/