Tuesday, May 29, 2012

oh my...time flies...


I really don't want to be the person who doesn't blog for forever and then comes back and writes a sentence like I am composing at the moment, saying sorry it has been so long.  I have been that person way too often!  I love staying in touch with everyone, and I intend to continue doing so.  Life has just been busy!

To prove that I am serious about updating this site here, I am committing to post every day for the next week.  It may be short with one or no pictures, but I am going to do it.

Today, I finished going through some magazines that needed to be thrown away.  The first time I read a magazine, I typically turn down pages for recipes, decorating ideas, etc, so today while going back to those particular pages to see if they were still worth tearing out, I found this gem in Southern Living.  It was SO good.  Here is the recipe:









Squash Casserole 

4 pounds yellow squash, sliced
  • large sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs, divided
  • 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup crushed French fried onions
1.  Preheat oven to 350°. Cook yellow squash and sweet onion in boiling water to cover in a Dutch oven 8 minutes or just until vegetables are tender; drain squash mixture well.  
  1. 2.  Combine squash mixture, freshly shredded Cheddar cheese, next 5 ingredients, 1 cup breadcrumbs, and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
  2. 3. Stir together melted butter, French fried onions, and remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over squash mixture.
  3. 4. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.

*I used Italian breadcrumbs because that was all I had, so I did not add any basil.  I liked the flavor of these breadcrumbs and would probably not use the regular kind when I make it again.  



Hope you all are doing well :).



1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us:)